Monday, November 5, 2012

Training!

Many of you know I'd been training since July to run the DIVA Half Marathon and the Army 10 Miler. There was quite a large group of ladies running here, so I thought it would be great motivation, plus it's always something I've wanted to do! Well, the training was done, and all I had left was the race. First was the Diva Half Marathon. 4 days prior to the race, I was playing with the boys in the kitchen and landed wrong on my leg. After an ER trip and leaving on crutches, it was detemined I could not run the race, let alone walk. MRI was scheduled for the following week. Who knew I would be in tears because I couldn't run?!?! My girls managed (and I'm still not sure how) to get me a finisher medal and a tiara and a boa. I can't thank them enough...

So, now fast forward to the following week. 4 days before the Army 10 miler. Had an MRI done on my leg, and turns out I had a tear in my gastrocnemius....aka calf muscle. The radiologist and my dr. said absolutely do not run, but my ortho doc said it's already torn, so if I want to give it a whirl, go ahead. So, I went with the 1 in 3 shot, and was not going to let all that training go to waste! I'm happy to report I ran and completed the 10 miler! Thank to my wonderful husband and Uncle Nick for watching the kids so I could enjoy the race! I didn't realize Captain America was also running, so thanks also to him for keeping my boys entertained. Now, on to recovery!







No comments: